AboutUsHeading.jpg

A Brief History

The founder of Charleston Stone and Quality Lime, Van Tarble, started his first quarry northwest of Clarksville, Illinois in the mid 1930s. This quarry was worked for 15 years until the operation moved southeast of Marshall and became Quality Lime Company. The quarry was moved 3 miles north in the late 1950s when an existing quarry was purchased from the Montgomery family. That quarry was operated until 1974 when the operation was moved back south after more land was purchased. Quality Lime has operated at that location since.

In 1954, Van purchased an existing quarry 3 miles east of Charleston, Illinois from Nate Lang. That quarry was the beginning of Charleston Stone Company. In the early 1960s another quarry just to the east, across the Embarrass River was purchased from Olen Humphres.

These two quarries were both operated as Charleston Stone. In 1999, the two plants were integrated into one plant operating 1/2 mile east of the river.

 Martin Tarble & Superintendent Jack McClanahan, 1975

Martin Tarble & Superintendent Jack McClanahan, 1975

 Martin Tarble in front of the original scalehouse circa 1954.

Martin Tarble in front of the original scalehouse circa 1954.

CHARLESTON STONE CO. TODAY

Today, Jerry and John Tarble aim to run a business that would make their father proud. They have maintained all their long-term relationships, and treat each new customer with the same care, compassion, and commitment to service. They offer great quality products and enjoy building personal relationships with each individual and corporation. 

 Van Tarble at his office in the Clark County courthouse in 1934.

Van Tarble at his office in the Clark County courthouse in 1934.

 Original Entrance

Original Entrance